EXP.1. THREE THINGS

1. My best piece of creative work:


 
This is a painting from my HSC Visual Arts Major Work which was based on my family and their cultural identity. The two sides of my family are juxtaposed in one being from the country and whom are what society views as being the typical Australian bloke; where as the other side live in the affluent suburbs of Sydney and are proud of their English heritage. I appropriated artworks from influential Australian artists William Dobell, Russell Drysdale, Noel Counihan and Margaret Olley to create individual portraits of each member of my family in a way that I feel best represents their personality and cultural identity. This was the final painting of the body of work and it involves me with my father and uncle, the two differing side of the family, in deep discussion and debate. The composition is based on a Noel Counihan painting which is of three “blokey” men enjoying a beer at the pub and the background is appropriated from a Margaret Olley interior. The painting attempts to summarise the collection and offer my point of view on the family and in turn my perceived cultural identity.



2. Architecture I admire:




A piece of architecture that I really admire and enjoy is the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, Spain. The church designed by Antoni Gaudi is still under construction and still far from being finished. Gaudi began the project in 1882 but following his accidental death in 1926 work was basically halted until being resumed in 1954. Last year I travelled to Spain and was able to experience the Sagrada Familia first hand. I was in complete awe of the tall and mind bogglingly detailed stone structure; which with its elements of art nouveau make it seem alive and growing like a kind of plant. I remember thinking that no wonder it is taking so many years to finish, as no part of it is left untouched by some sort of feature or detailed design. It’s the craziest building I have ever seen and I would love to go back and see it once it is complete.



3. An original photograph of something beautiful:





I took this photo in Switzerland, which I think has to be one of the most beautiful places on Earth. I was on a Topdeck tour around Europe last year and we were travelling on the bus though the Swiss mountains to France, when we suddenly saw this amazing view! I don't even know where it is exactly or the name of the place; we just happened to briefly pass by it – I was lucky to get the photo! But there is something really beautiful about the combination of mountains and lakes, which is why I love this photo.